Friday, April 20, 2012

From the cell..

Pastor Amos in the middle with the men.

Us with the male prisoners.

Prisoners room, there were currently 30 but this room holds 72!
    Pastor Amos has been such a joy to work with! He is always happy and Loving the ministry he is apart of. We have gone to several prisons around Tororo with him and this time we drove about an hour to a mens prison in the next district over. This is the only one they let people take photos at, and I am pretty sure its because Pastor Amos has built such a good relationship with them.

Prison here is much different. Granted I’ve never visited any jail in America but I have heard, so correct me if I’m wrong, that people who are in prison are allowed to use the library that is available, watch tv, exercise, and I really don’t know what else. But at this prison and all of the ones we have visited the prisoners are given nothing but a bamboo or grass woven mat, 2 blankets, mosquito net, uniform, and some are given a Bible if a visitor brings them. When we have gone we have brought gifts for the prisoners such as tooth brush and tooth paste, feminine products, and soap. They aren’t given these things because the prison doesn’t have money for it and the prisoners obviously don’t either.

I know that many of these people in prison in the area are innocent and it is amazing to see the hope in their eyes, peace in their hearts, and no bitterness for the act they have been accused of. Wow, that would be so difficult. I know we go there to sing and worship with them and minister to them with a word from the Bible we feel God is calling us to share about but most of the time I am being taught to or ministered to through them. I am humbled each time we visit.

1 comment: