Sunday, December 5, 2010

Disturbing Parenting

About a month ago I went to the movie 'The Town', starring Ben Affleck.  The movie is rated R and was pretty intense with violence and language.

So the show starts and we are sitting there and the F bomb is being said every three words and then I hear this high pitched little voice behind me and I glance back quickly to notice that there were two young girls maybe 10 and 12 behind us with their parents! So through the whole movie I was uncomfortable sitting there watching this movie with these kids behind me.

It was just frustrating because I work daily with "at-risk teens" and I feel that a lot of issues start with parenting. If you wonder why kids are swearing all the time, fighting all the time, or just have negative behaviors a lot of it stems to what they watch and the people around them. So....why would you bring your kids to an R rated movie?? Super frustrating. Even if you didn't know what the movie was about before you went and then realized it was bad....you do have the ability to walk out! Or look up the movie review/trailer before you go!

After the movie my co-worker who I went with asked the parents how old their kids were and they said 10 and 15, and she told them 'they're a little young to be watching this'. They responded kindly but it was still just frustrating to see. I'm sure those of you reading this might be thinking, man she's really fired up about this. But, the future is in the hands of the generations below you and if we don't teach them or role model to them....what do you expect?!

No comments:

Post a Comment