Thursday, January 5, 2012

Africa vs. USA

So with being here I’m sure some of you are wondering; What am I learning to speak in Swahili? What are some differences to America? Questions like that. Well, here is a list of the many things I have learned! A lot of these are food related :) (Its definitely daily learning here!) It is a goal of mine to learn more Swahili everyday so that by the time I leave I can speak mostly Swahili while at Smile Africa! pray for me, haha! There are many different languages spoken at Smile Africa daily not to mention how many different languages Africans speak in general! The main ones used at Smile are Swahili, Jap, and Lugandan.
In Africa these terms mean something a bit different than at home!!
Pants= Underwear; Trousers=pants
Blueband=butter (blueband is the brand of margarine they use, but they only call it by its name)
Ketchup= Top Up; Hot Sauce= Chili
Chips= French Fries; Crisps= Chips
Turning= sloping

Swahili Words-  I would try to spell the Swahili words but I don't know the spelling and it wouldn't help you say it. Sorry!
Eat
Sit
No
How are you? I’m fine.
Go Bathe
Get dressed
Go
Run
Sing
Say
Play
Again
Why?
Because
What is your name?
Home
What’s going on?

5 comments:

  1. Now you just need to start a virtual class that will teach all of your loyal followers too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I think my main problem is I always ask if I have to wear pants when I go out to get food or something. Like do I have to dress up or can I go out in my sweat pants... May have to kick that habbit before I leave in 5 days!!!!

    Love reading your blog Leah. Keep up the amazing work!

    Love in Christ
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will make a video for you Sarah!!!

    Leslie! Yes I still catch myself saying pants! I will be praying for you and Ashley as you journey to Tanzania!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Odi otia Neiabo? Mukama Ye Bazibway! Yesu Aquagala!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Troy! Thanks for the Luganda! Except my luganda is very bad and I am mostly learning Swahili!
    Odi otia sebo! Osebio tiano sebo?
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete