Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Education. It's important.

Hello Followers! 
Meghann Greene who was formerly at Smile for 6 months has taken on the task of finding school sponsors for these children. I also would love to see them all continue on in school I am posting this and hope you jump on the chance to help out a child if you feel God is leading you in that direction.
We would love for all students to get sponsors but these are the most needed right now. 
When you are considering sponsorship please remember that these kids go from P4-S6 so potentially your commitment could be, 10 years. If you need to stop sponsorship for some reason it is ok, however; it is difficult to find new sponsors for the kids. Just keep this in mind. 

Meghann's Post:

I pray that God will lead 10 individuals, families, couples, or even groups of employees to sponsor these children that I grew so close to during my time in Uganda.  I pray that these children will get the education they deserve.  I pray that more education will give them a chance they might not otherwise have.
With God working through Smile Africa Ministries, I know this is possible for these children.

Munama Dan. The quietest, most well-behaved boy in class. Very smart, and a very hard worker.


Mabonga Peter. As a perfectionist, Mabonga is very hard on himself. It was a challenge, but I quickly remembered how that was ME when I was in school. I loved figuring out ways to boost his confidence and help him to see how smart he really is.



Kirya James "Jimmy".  Jimmy had perfect attendence the entire two months I taught at Smile. That is HUGE. He always made me laugh. He gave 100% every single day.



Ogillo Amos. I'll be honest...I struggled with this boy at the beginning. But once I really got to know him, and his family (his mother works at Smile), I grew to love him very much. He progressed SO much academically just in the two months I was working in the classroom.
Amoo Anna (Ogillo Amos' sister). Anna was the only girl in my class...and the boys definitely let her know that. Props to this girl for all she had to put up with. Yet throughout, she was always trying her hardest, and doing great at that.



Ojiambo Isaac. (Many of you might remember my post on Isaac and Ben a while back...if you forgot, you should take a look.) Isaac was by far the smartest boy in class...academically much further along than what I was teaching the other students. I always tried to do something a little special for Isaac to still challenge and teach him. I see a lot in Isaac's future...he just needs someone to give him a chance.


Sanya Ben (Isaac's brother). Sanya is such a sweet boy, and he actually was supposed to be in P2 rather than P3. Because his older brother was in my class, and after working with Sanya, I knew I wanted him in my class. Sanya gets very anxious very easily, and he needs a lot of one on one help. I wanted to be that one to do so. His English was not great, but he always tried so hard. And his math skills....awesome.



Teko Isako. Isako was the student I got to know the least, because of him not being able to come most of the time. But whenever he was around, I could always count on him being on the of the first students in my classroom.



Yusefu. Oh how Clark and I loved this boy. Yusef was also supposed to be in P2, but he constantly asked me if he could come join my class. Once Clark arrived, I let him, because I had more help in the classroom. I so wish I would have let him come sooner. Yusef gives everything 110% and is SUCH a kind boy. We taught this boy to read many basic words in less than two weeks, and he caught on so fast. Yusef can go very far in life...I know it.
Robert Okedi- 16 and has finished P5 and needs a sponsor to continue on in P6! He loves to play futbol, spend time with friends, listen to music, and he someday hopes to become a Doctor!
I know I can find a way to send all of them to school, and give them a chance to go so far in life.

So please pray about it.
Go with your heart.

Many of these children have lost parents to disease, have parents run out on them, face the temptation of alcohol at a young age, and have no food at home. All have seen things that no child should witness. Yet ALL have so much joy and such a craving to learn.


Around $80 will get the child supplies needed to start (uniform, school bag, shoes, mosquito net, and a mattress).
After that, it is $25 every 3 months.
And if the start-up fee is a little much, talk to me...and we can work something out. Like I said...I feel like these are my own children.
Starfish story by Loren Eisley...

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean.
The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?
You can’t make a difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…
"I made a difference for that one.”

Email me if you have questions: megh.greene@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment