Monday, November 28, 2011

I survived the Nile!!

 We (Sarah, Marie, Anna and I) had heard of a place called Adrift in Jinja where they offer white water rafting, bungee jumping, and a jet boat ride. When we arrived at Adrift we checked in and walked around the grounds and found our Safari Tents. The restaurant/bar overlooks the Nile, its a beautiful view! It was rainy and windy when we were there so we sat and played cards in the restaurant. There was a tour group there also stopping by to raft and bungee. The group was from all over, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland.
We headed out for rafting on Friday around 9 am. We were given a small breakfast right before we went in the water. Our raft was Team America, Canada, and Ireland. So we headed down the Nile! There were about 7 rapids we went through total during the day. They were all 4 and 5 level rapids. There was a rapid that was level 6 so we got out and walked around the first half because it is too dangerous to go through. It was beautiful! We stopped for lunch half way through and then got back in the water for the last half of rapids.
We had a great time it was quite thrilling! I was surprised that the river wasn’t more constant rapids but that’s quite alright. We went through a rapid, had some down time, and so on. On the very last rapid we went through it just fine, and then our guide said we should go through it again. As we entered the rapid the second time, we went towards it as if we were surfing a wave, and then very quickly we flipped the raft. When I fell in the water I didn’t know what direction I was facing or where exactly I was going but when I came up out of the water I was next to Sarah and then I just floated down the  river quite quickly by the power of the rapid. Our guide had flipped the raft right side up and then we all got back in and finished our travel up the Nile.
After rafting we went back to Adrift and relaxed for the evening. We played some more games at the restaurant and went to bed early. Saturday we went back into town to do a few last minute shopping stops. When we got to the taxi park to head home we found an almost full bus so we only waited for about 20 minutes before we left!! We had a really nice ride home, the best taxi bus ride I've had so far and no chickens!
Team America, Ireland, and Canada



This is our crew tipping over...I'm the one in the middle closest to the water!

Adrift

Our Safari Tents!

The Bungee Jump!

Nile River

1 comment:

  1. Leah!!! Sounds like you had a blast...I've rafted exactly where you did...reading your post made my heart jump! I can just picture it all so well. Thank you for taking the time to share!

    We love you,
    Troy

    ReplyDelete