Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pay, Pay, Pay ah ha....Pay Attention...

 So the daily schedule at Smile Africa goes something like this:
9- class
10- porridge
11- shower
12- class
1- lunch
2:30- class
4- Time to go home
One of the many sweet smiles we see daily!

Sylvia- one of the teachers at Smile
 During the 9 &12 o’clock classes there is a nursery class. It consists of all kids that are not yet in P1 (Similar to 1st grade) so roughly 6 and under.

Nursery School time is fun and exhausting. They sing, learn numbers, learn the alphabet, and learn new songs. The class takes place outside in the shed, with a black board that hangs from one side. I am pretty impressed that they are all so comfortable there, because I’m pretty positive U.S. kids would have a tough time sitting there. All the age differences within the nursery class makes it difficult to teach but, I am so impressed by the Smile teachers that keep the kids in line. They have a bunch of fun little songs that grab the kids’ attention for when class is to start. One of the main tasks is getting the kids to come to the shed from playing out in the field or on the playground equipment.

I am learning a lot everyday in the nursery class. I thought I had gotten a grasp of crowd control while working at TreeHouse but, I have been humbled once again. The kids are pretty good about helping me learn the songs, games, and language. But to be honest, it’s tough to always have to ask ‘what does that mean?’, ‘how do I say that?’. Despite these challenges, I am starting to feel somewhat connected.
Teacher Budesta during Nursery Class!!  (This is where I usually help out)

No comments:

Post a Comment