Sunday, November 27, 2011

Yes a chicken under my seat and a Cheeseburger Thanksgiving

The chicken's head is on the floor, my foot is above and the red part is my seat!
Well we headed to Jinja on Thanksgiving! We had planned this weekend away to celebrate our American holiday and get a few days off from Smile. We went to the taxi park in the morning and only had to wait for an hour and 20 minutes before we left! As the last people got in the taxi I kept hearing this little chirp and I looked down and sure enough a chicken was sitting next/under my seat. Thank God it’s feet were tied together but at one point it got excited and started flapping its wings and trying to move around. It laid back down but I kept checking my feet to see if it had gotten any closer to me or perhaps laid an egg...you never know in Africa! But then there were 2! Yes 2 chickens were under my seat all along. Oh the things that only happen in Africa. I’m just glad it wasn’t raw fish someone was bringing to Jinja!

Thanksgiving dinner at 'Ozzie's'
We arrived in Jinja and headed to a restaurant called ‘Ozzie’s’ where I had a delicious cheeseburger, salad, and fries (Africa calls them chips) with a fanta! It really was a delicious cheeseburger, tasted homemade! I then proceeded for dessert across the street to ‘The Source’. I had delicious french press coffee and a piece of chocolate cake.
Not the usually turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy, mashed potatoes, etc. that we usually have on Thanksgiving but it definitely was a treat to have a western meal!
Thanksgiving dessert at 'The Source'
I was so thankful we had planned this weekend away because it makes being gone for these holidays a lot easier. While I drank my coffee I decided to make a list of things I’m thankful for (because I wasn’t feeling very thankful at all missing my family). So here is a list of things I’ve come to be really thankful for that I have here and at home in the states:
-Family!!!!
-Old Friends and New Friends
-Technology especially Skype!
Consistent Water
Consistent Electricity
Washer and Dryer-(I’m doing my best with hand washing)
Dependable Transportation
God saving my life
Different cultures
Being able to serve in Africa
Meeting people from all over the world
Clean cities
A good home
The many things I learn daily in Africa- (it’s SUPER humbling)
Not seeing snakes

No comments:

Post a Comment