Sunday, November 20, 2011

JiNjA

Anna and Marie-they are leaving in 3 weeks :(
We took our first adventure outside of Tororo on Saturday! We left around 7:45 am to go grab a taxi bus to JINJA!!! It’s about 2.5 hours away, towards Kampala...no one uses directions here. Anyways as we were walking towards the taxi park there was one leaving and how you get a taxi here is.....if they are driving by they shout out where they are going which is what happened so Meghan yelled ‘Jinja, Jinja’ and they stopped and picked us up.
We were the first ones on the taxi bus and it took us about 2.75 ours to get to Jinja. We picked up and dropped off people along the way. We at one point had 21 people in our 14 passenger taxi...let’s just say we all got close, haha! It is quite the experience to use public transportation here.

Sarah and I
When we got to Jinja we got on bodas and went to a coffee shop called, The Source. it was a pretty Western Coffee Shop with great Coffee!!! (I miss good coffee!) I know coffee is grown here and chocolate is made here but I can’t find out where they are!!! Instant coffee is sufficing for now. Ok i’m done with my coffee rant. Anyways we stopped at a movie store and bought some films for real cheap! We then walked up and down this street and looked at all the shops, which are called ‘ducas’ here.
There is so much to look at in these shops.
I went to one shop and they had this painting which was pretty awesome and I asked them to paint me a smaller one! I will be back there over Thanksgiving so I will post the amazing story about this painting when I get it!!! Get excited!

I'm a Mzungu! haha
It was a great day of relaxing, coffee, good food, and fun time with my new friends. Now for getting home. We walked back to the taxi park in Jinja. This is where all the taxi buses park and you walk around saying the where you want to go and the drivers point you in the right direction. So we finally found a taxi bus and waited about an hour before we started to head out of town. As we started leaving they made us stop and switch taxis....only in Africa. It is always a good idea to have the attitude that you are going to have to wait a LONG time before you start your journey home. We made it home no problem. Not that there weren’t any close calls but God is definitely protecting our group!!

Marie, Anna, Sarah, and I at The Source!

1 comment: