Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tororo we are here!


View from my balcony...Tororo Rock (a volcanic plug:))

Well, we have arrived!! We got here on Friday around 12:30pm and Meghan (a fellow Short Termer (ST)) picked us up at the Post Office. We went to the Crystal, home sweet home, and got settled into our new home for the next eight months. Meghan let us settle in before we went down to the restaurant to have lunch. When she closed the door, I looked around the room and at Sarah and said ‘Well this is it, and this is for real.’ It all of a sudden hit me like a wave, I am far far away from home and out of my comfort zone.
I think Sarah would agree that we were very overwhelmed, we didn’t know what to do. We were almost numb to the fact and realization that we are in Africa, for the next 8 months. So we sat down and prayed over our new home and our journey here in Tororo, helping at Smile. Yes, tears came as soon as I started to pray.  But I felt the Lord cover us with protection and peace about where we are!

We spent the rest of the day eating lunch and meeting the staff here at the Crystal Hotel, walking around part of town, purchased internet, found the bank, walked by the market, found the good shopping stores, and saw where the other two girls from our team are staying. They are with a missionary family from a different organization.

The rest of the day I just felt out of place. I didn’t really know how to react or what to do. It was almost like a haze trying to realize and for it to be reality that I was in Africa. We spent time organizing our things, and decorating our room with photos, encouraging words while listening to music. That was very comforting and I’m so thankful that Sarah was smart enough to bring all of the supplies (thanks friend). Sarah, is my roommate and new partner in crime for the next 8 months. She’s a joy and we get along great!! Very similar! Warren (AIM Staff) had assured us we would get along and he was right...thanks Warren!!

First night at the Crystal I slept well. I used my mosquito net for the first time and besides being exhausted from traveling the african music from the bar across the street put me right to sleep!!

We spent Saturday and Sunday just relaxing and getting somewhat accustomed to Tororo. Sunday we went to church at the Pentecostal Assemblies of God church. They had a good sermon, and a great choir. People are very friendly here in Tororo! Africans love to say hello to everyone and ask how you are doing...they really want to know too!

I will post more photos of the city soon!


To the right of Tororo Rock, I just like palm trees!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Leah! I am so excited to hear about where you are now and will be for the rest of the time. I'm also so glad you have a good friend there with you! I'll pray God helps both of you to feel comfortable there and not so lonely. I love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. post a picture of you and Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete