Thursday, November 3, 2011

Muzungu (white person)

Well being in Africa a little over 2 weeks now I have been called Muzungu (white person) a million times, especially by children anywhere near where I’m walking. If you are wondering, its not a derogatory comment, its more just a hello to white people. Of course I stick out like a sore thumb so they can pick us out anywhere, anytime.
But on the other hand I have never felt so loved by so many people in my life. The children here love muzungus. They literally run at us and ask ‘Muzungu, how are you?’ and then give us hugs, shake our hands, or even bow and shake our hands. They all have this huge smile on their face and get so excited! I feel very important. If this doesn’t make you feel important or wanted, I don’t know what will.

I have definitely not felt that special the whole time being here. Walking around Kampala, more so than Tororo because its so much bigger, I definitely feel like I’m being watched. Which is not always comfortable. I feel this is a taste of being a minority. As I’m out in town, at church, meeting new africans, I am being watched. With that I am praying that God gives me strength and courage to not get down, disappointed, or stressed in knowing that I am being watched. But in knowing that I'm being watch, I will live like Jesus in all that I do. Even in the U.S., I never want to be a hypocrite and I think most of my friends would say that I’m a pretty real person. I hate it when people beat around the bush trying to tell the truth, or how they feel (within means of consideration). Just say it, its real and its who you are. Why try to be different?

So being in Africa, I do have a different accent when I go to Smile but I am humbled daily int trying to say different phrases, not understanding Swahili and what the kids are saying. But I am not not trying to be Muzungu here, even when its uncomfortable. It is what I am.  (along with many other things)

1 comment:

  1. I remember having similar feelings in Ecuador. But what a great way to look at it--be an example of Christ!

    ReplyDelete