Saturday, November 5, 2011

Tough kids color!

So as I posted before the first day at Smile was overwhelmingly good. There’s so much to take in so we were able to do all half days for the first week. Which I was SO thankful for because not only a new country, far from home, new town, new culture, new “job”, I am now trying to get used to the African Heat, this sun wipes me out!
Tough guys!!  

 
Since I don’t have a specific task at Smile like a nurse or a teacher I am more like a ‘floater’. I have helped in the baby room, kids class, P1 and P2 class, helping with baths, and playing in the field during game time. So, I am praying about and trying to find my niche at Smile. Where my gifts and talents will be best used and enhance what Smile is already offering to the children.
I was given some good advice before coming to Smile; take each day one at a time, and until I find my niche try to accomplish one small goal a day. So, that’s what I’ve been doing. I have learned how to count to 10 in Swahili, helped a 12 year old girl, who lives at Smile, learn the phonetics of the alphabet, playing frisbee, learn some games the kids play, and give out coloring pages and crayons for coloring time!

Quite a few coloring!!
When I brought out the coloring book and crayons I had kids pretty much knock me over they were so excited! They all came running saying, “Muzungu, you give me paper?” So I handed out one coloring page and crayon per kid until my box of crayons was gone. They LOVED it!!! They took their time coloring and did a pretty good job sharing the crayons back and forth. I had to monitor them just because they wanted to keep the crayons, but if they did we wouldn’t be able to color again, which I tried to explain. When they were finished they were so proud of their picture I told them I’d take their photo, so here are some pictures of the proud artists!!! I love how the boys held up their coloring photos with such tough guy faces!


Moses is so proud of his picture!

3 comments:

  1. They are too sweet! Are you learning a lot of swahili, too? Can't wait to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah it looks like things are going great!! What are the P1, P2, and P3 classes? LOVE AND MISS YOU SIS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leah, It's great to read about how life is going there! You mentioned that you are learning Swahili. Do they speak English there? Do they teach English to the kids? Any other languages too? You are in our thoughts and prayers. Blessings,Sheri

    ReplyDelete